New Tee project I’m working on. Exciting times
Let me admit, In the past, I have had a tendency to complain more about the problems that have arisen rather than the great things that have happened. Call it mushy, cringe or whatever you please but learning how to practice gratitude is something I have had my eyes opened to only in last year. Due to a rather large and upsetting family crisis this time last year, I have learnt to feel extremely grateful in the different areas of my life and it honestly has changed the way I see almost everything as well as taught me how to handle a situation differently. As corny as it sounds, you really don’t realize how great you have it until something/someone you love is nearly taken away from you.
As the New Year is soon approaching, I felt it was needed to conduct a list of things I learnt during 2012 and other things I am grateful for.. Bring on 2013!
1. My parents. Without them and their hard work I wouldn’t have been fortunate enough to grow up in one of the best cities in the world, receive an education and being taught their morals and views on the world which has moulded me into someone I am not disappointed in being.
2. My friends. Throughout high school I definitely had to deal with a lot of assholes that were as close to be being good people as Hong Kong welcoming snow this Christmas. Despite this, I now know the people I want to surround myself with and have no time for the people that don’t reach that standard. Life is short….. so why put up with all the bullshit? I am so very lucky to have friends just as weird as I am.
3. My sense of sight, hearing, touch, smell & taste. I’m thankful I can watch sunsets, hear some sweet az tunes, smell my Christmas trees musky scent and taste my beloved Nachos.
4. My health. This is probably the thing I took for granted the least in the past. I have filled my body with things that are bad for me, drunk copious amounts of alcohol which has lead me to experience health problems a 23 year old shouldn’t be having. As fun as it is to get extremely pissed (or is it?) it’s time for me to learn two scary words: In. Moderation.
5. Rain..as nothing makes me feel better than a nice long walk in the pouring rain.
6. Fake cheese. Cheetos are what dreams are made of.
7. My hands and legs. Which allow me to practice my beloved muay thai & ballet, swim in pools during summer, flip the pages of my favourite books and spend hours using my creativity to illustrate whatever comes to mind.
8. My mind. For giving me the ability to think, learn and store my favourite memories
9.The fact that Mondays seem to fly by even though the first 30 minutes after waking up feels like the world is ending.
10. Socks. Just imagine…blisters galore..mmmmm
11. Twats for showing me what I will strive to never be nor treat anyone in the same way.
12. Animals for showing me unconditional love and my beautiful dog for bringing me happiness every time I walk in the door from work.
13. Internet & facebook. For connecting me with people I miss or have lost contact with.
14. My bed. For the comfort it brings me, which leaves me energized for the next day.
15. Movies, books and reality TV as sometimes I just want to watch mind numbing crap after a tiring day. Honey Boo Boo child, admit it…. that stuff is gold.
16. My Job. Even if it may not be my dream job, it provides me with experience, which could benefit me in the future, and money to be able to enjoy my weekends and give me a source of living.
17. FOOD. This one needs no explanation…just say it with me, pizza.
18. My sense of humor. You can’t lose if you manage to make yourself laugh on a daily basis.
19. The people that have supported my family in the past year. Thank you so much
20. The feeling during and after a great massage.
21. Seeing a large group of fireflies for the first time in Phuket, Thailand. I have never seen anything like it. One of those moments I will NEVER forget.
22. Safe landings… As most of my friends know, I’m not exactly the biggest fan of flying. Planes just scare the living daylights out of me and even though I’m grateful for them allowing me to travel to beautiful places and indulge in different cultures, I am extremely grateful for when that plane glides down the runway.
23. My Blankee. 23 years I’ve had that tattered bed sheet and as cringe as it may be, I haven’t gone more than 2 weeks of my life without the comfort of it.
24. Water, especially when waking up with the mother of all hangovers.
25. My illustration tutor at university for being the only one of our tutors who complemented and encouraged other students and myself during our projects. If it weren’t for him, I would’ve probably picked up a pencil every 6 months. Plus, he was a extreme fittie.
26. That I live in a relatively peaceful area with low crime rates.
27. I am grateful for whoever invented Nachos & Nandos.
28. For the two little boys at work whom literally brighten up my day and make lunchtime duty ever so enjoyable.
29. I’m grateful for being taught to not take sh*t from anyone. Thank you dad for being so scouse.
30.I’m grateful for people like Nick Vujicic.
31. Spell check.
Have a great week peeps.